Bogart High School

HISTORY OF BOGART HIGH SCHOOL
Bogart, Georgia

Bogart was once named Osceola. Most settlers came with the land lottery of 1820. The town included small general stores, cotton gins, and railroad tracks. The depot was built in 1888 and torn down in the early 1960s, as were most other small-town depots throughout Georgia.

The name Osceola was changed in 1892 to Bogart in honor of a well known and respected Southern Seaboard railroad agent. Bogart was incorporated in 1905. It is located in Northeast Georgia, about 60 miles east of Atlanta. Bogart was a big little town surrounded by rural settings. Many of the families made their living by raising cotton and working in the rug and clothes factories in Bogart and surrounding towns.

Bogart High School

Records of the early days show that there was more than one school in the town of Bogart. The first newspaper published in Oconee County in 1880, “The Osceola Tidbits”, states “Professor D.L. Brown has a flourishing school at this place.” Additionally, a History of Bogart, by Janet Zuber Luke, states “Over the years the schools have been behind the Baptist Church, known as a field school. On the north side of town was Bear Creek School and south was Pine Grove School turning west on Highway 78 at Dorsey Crowes in a pine thicket. East was Hinton Brown School on Highways 29 and 78 near Alewines, named for the men that gave the land and building materials for the schools construction. West was Paradise School near Dials Mill Road. Most of these schools closed when the schools consolidated. There was one academy in the area, Hodges Academy, on a hill near the Old Hodges home place on Fowlers Mill Road.”

The first school on the site of the Bogart High School was a one room wooden building, and just prior to 1910 was tilting so badly that poles were placed on the outside for support. In 1911, the free public system was approved in a legislative act so the town could float a bond. Mr. Earl Griffeth played an important role in completing all the paper work. The old wooden building was torn down and construction began on a fine two-story brick building with a bell tower, and auditorium upstairs with a stage at one end. Chapel was held there in the morning. The bell was rung at the start of school and changing of classes.

Grammar school classes and the library were on the first floor with high school classes upstairs. Later on, the Agriculture and Home Economics building was constructed. In 1923, the first girls’ basketball team was organized and in 1932 the boys’ team won the schools’ first tournament which sparked an interest in building a gymnasium. During those days, the teams either played outside or in the warehouse in down town Bogart. In 1933, the Bogart community celebrated the completion of a large school auditorium and gymnasium. All the work and materials used were contributed by people living in the district.

The first class to graduate from the eleventh grade was in 1922. The first class to graduate from the twelfth grade was in 1953.

Beginning in the fall of 1947, students from the Carithers School transferred to the Bogart School in the eighth grade. Prior to that time, the Carithers School had nine grades and students transferred to the Bogart School in the tenth grade.

The first school annual, BOSHAN (Bogart High School Annual), was published in 1949. It was published each year thereafter with the last edition issued in 1956.

In the 1950s, the Bogart School included grades one through high school with a total of about 300 students. The state of Georgia during that period of time was going through a reorganization, which eventually led to the merger of Bogart High School and the Watkinsville High School in 1957. The merger of these two schools became the new Oconee High School. The 1957 seniors were the first class to graduate from Oconee High School.

The old Bogart two-story school building was torn down in 1957 after 45 years of service. The bricks are now on a house across from a pond, just about one mile before you get to the Oconee River in Athens on Highway 29.

BOGART HIGH SCHOOL ALMA MATER

Bogart High School Diploma

Bogart High School Diploma

B H S our dear old High School
Fills our hearts with glee
Red and Black are our gay colors
Ever hail to thee.

Praising songs we’ll sing forever
May they never die
Glory to our Alma Mater
Hail to Bogart High.

Our school in all her glory
Claiming right of way
Fairest school in all of Georgia
In our hearts today.

Praising songs we’ll sing forever
May they never die
Glory to our Alma Mater
Hail to Bogart High.